Monday, February 15, 2010

Hey World!

Well folks, the day is finally here. I take off in a few hours, and to be honest, the sheer reality that I will be landing an a non-English speaking country in less than 24 hours has not hit me yet. My mom asked me tonight if I knew who was meeting me at the airport. I said that I assume someone from my program will be there holding a sign. But suppose they weren't? Suppose I find myself completely lost with no idea where to go. I do anticipate a few of these moments, but hopefully they will be few and far between!

I have managed to pack both of my bags under 50lbs and am ready to go! Let's hope customs lets me through. :) I'm also going to be crossing my fingers for as little precipitation as possible. Snow always has a way of mucking up my travel plans. Knock on wood.

Last, please send me your addresses (unless you have already). I will be writing lots of postcards:)


Rachael Elliott
CIEE Room 101, Building #8, College of International Education
The Minzu University of China
27 Zhong Guan Cun South Ave
Beijing 100081


Take care guys!

7 comments:

  1. Good Luck Rachael! I will be thinking of you! I so remember Ryan feeling the same way! It will be ok! If you have time to do up some note cards to help communicate that helps! Also if you need help call Ryan even though he is away he knows many people in Beijing I am sure would assist you! This is truly an adventure of a life time! Savor the moments as there will be sooooo many for sure!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Rachel, at last the journey begins! It should be fine. I suspect they will have someone there and you will find your way to some great adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything will be fine...this might not be something that comes out of my mouth often, but God (or the higher energies) are watching over you and keeping you safe (i just know it. lets us know when u landed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rachel,
    Wow!---At last! You've done the "tombe, pas de bouree, glissade" part, now embarking on the "grand jete" part... remember to "plie" upon landing! I'm sure you'll be fine, but you may find yourself having to "just whistle a happy tune" every now and then. GOD! What an awesome experience for you! Have fun, faith, and friends wherever you go... "Love," Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. much love and a safe and beautiful trip rach! you will be in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Racel,

    I'm so proud of you for dancing out into this wide world. I know you will learn and teach a great deal. I can't wait to read all the details. Good luck and thanks for all the wonderful posts. I'm very excited for you!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck Rachael and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Josh T.

    ReplyDelete